OPINION: Singapore’s education system: The truth behind the myth - Jess C. Scott

The Malaysian Insider, 31 Jan 2014
When I was growing up in Singapore – I migrated to the US when I was twenty – what caused me a lot of grief was the education system.
I don’t have a vendetta against the schools I attended. Some teachers really cared about students, in a way which went beyond how the students were performing academically.
It is the education system itself which I don’t remember fondly.
I always feel disheartened with reports in the establishment media that paint a rosy picture of Singapore’s education system (like here, here, and here). Few of them give a comprehensive overview of the real effects of the system.
Such reports do not dilute the clear memory I have – through direct experience – of the disadvantages of the aforementioned system. Full story