Grace Fu's comments on pay cuts spark public outrage

Yahoo! Singapore News, 5 Jan 2012
“When I made the decision to join politics in 2006, pay was not a key factor. Loss of privacy, public scrutiny on myself and my family and loss of personal time were,” Fu said on her Facebook page.
She went on to say, “The disruption to my career was also an important consideration. I had some ground to believe that my family would not suffer a drastic change in the standard of living even though I experienced a drop in my income. So it is with this recent pay cut.
“If the balance is tilted further in the future, it will make it harder for any one considering political office.”
As of Thursday, her post had drawn over 523 comments with more than 580 shares. Most criticised her remarks, questioning further whether local politicians are merely drawn by the top-notch salaries, deemed to be the highest in the world, or because of passion to serve the people. Full story

Related:
Grace Fu creates online furore - inSing.com