SR Nathan: ‘I have to ask the man up there to forgive me’

Yahoo! Singapore News, 7 Dec 2011
The former president shared his thoughts about handling the task during his period of office, saying, “Of course it’s a difficult thing when it comes to the death penalty. It’s a matter of conscience. That’s the law… and you do your best to see that there is justice done.
It took a point-blank question to him about how he dealt with death-row appeals before he finally opened up.
“I have to ask the man up there to forgive me for what is done for the good of society,” he said, after a pregnant pause. “It doesn’t happen because we don’t like you. It happens because there are certain things that are done, and that’s the law, and there was a fair hearing.” Full story

Related:
I don’t want to defend myself: S R Nathan - Yahoo! Singapore News
NTU confers honorary doctorate on S.R. Nathan - Physorg.com