TRIBUTE: The ballad of Chia Thye Poh



Free Malaysia Today, 19 Dec 2011

“I am a proud yet simple man
In the lion city my life began
A caring teacher I became
In search of truth and peace -
And when my age was tender still
My country’s wrongs my mind did fill
By tens of thousands patriots’ trills
And my questions would not cease …
Chorus: Don’t shed no tears for my plight
I’ll boldly serve my time
Let Harry brand our noble fight
Thirty two years of crime…

“I learned of many years of strife
Of cruel laws, injustice rife
I saw in Vietnam how they ruled
The same colonial way –
Protestors beaten, tortured, maimed
Divisions nurtured, passions flamed
Outraged, provoked, rights, cause defamed
This is the conqueror’s way…
(chorus)

“They locked me up in sixty six
On trumped up charges hard to stick
They tried to force me to confess
To all their made-up lies -
I stand for human dignity
For freedom, just democracy
I know that through those years deprived
My spirit will touch lives…”
(chorus)

More