Forum: PR and National Service

Singapore Expat Forum
ken2r:
We have been asked to reply in writing if we plan to apply for PR for our kids and if not, why. The issue is National Service. Should we be directly honest or is there a less direct way to say it? Or does it even matter?
Background...
We have lived here for 6 years and moved here primarily to have our kids go to one of the intl schools. My wife has had PR since 2010 (was previously on an employment pass). I am applying for PR on my own now (currently on an LTVP under my wife). She has a high-paying, stable job. All of my work is outside of Singapore, but I show 90k in director-fee income every year so pay local taxes.
We just received a letter asking if we plan to apply for PR for our children as well (2 young boys, 1 girl) and if not, what is the reason. I assume the issue they are driving at is National Service. We are requested to reply in writing.
Being completely selfish, we don't see any benefit in PR for the kids and I only want it myself so my wife doesn't have to authorize me every time I go to Singtel for a new phone. I don't really want my kids to do NS, but wouldn't be opposed to it if they decided to do it. That said, we respect that we live here at the blessing of the authorities.
My honest response would be: "We have decided not to apply for PR for our kids. [The reason is the issue of National Service.] We believe that such a decision should be made by them individually, not by us, and they should wait until they are at least 15 years old to make such a decision."
Does it matter how we phrase this? Should we mention NS specifically? I know this has always been an issue and it feels like it might be the deciding factor (since I've waited 9+ months for a reply).
Link